Saturday, February 2, 2008

Just Near the Duomo...

I received the call on Saturday night, my mind quickly clicking through each creamy, fresh, gooey, thick, salty, sweet morsel that had crossed my lips the past few weeks, fast and colorful like grainy slides through my old, bulky red Viewmaster.

"High cholesterol runs in the family, Carly. You need to limit your cheese, bread, sugar--you know what to do"

I sighed.

"Dad, I'm in Italy. ITALY. Do you realize what you're asking?"

Bubbling hot cheese on crispy thin crackling pizza dough, marbled salami with ingrained peppercorns, wrapped around thick slices of pecorino cheese, fresh penne bolognese covered in slowly melting parmesan, a silky prosciutto, warm cheese, and funghi panino from the bar across from my Borgo Ognissanti appartamento--the best panino I've ever had. The cripsy bread breaks with only a small nudge from my teeth, giving way to the warm innards; thick and hearty ham covered in chewy cheese, with the occasional musky, meaty flavor of porcini mushroom.

And the gelato. Oh, the gelato. Thick and creamy, or light and icy, with cascading chocolate chips in the stracciatella, or slightly frozen strawberries in the fragola, each bite causing the kind of smile that makes your cheeks ache. Caramel gelato with a fresh crema base and sticky caramel swirls laced throughout, sandwiched between two hot waffles, the smell making you feel like carnivale has already arrived. Sitting down with the messy desert on a corner across from the ponte vecchio, dripping ice cream onto the cobblestone street between your feet--perfection.

Fuck cholesterol.

I call up La Giostra, one of the best restaurants in Firenze, known for their unbelievably rich, unfailingly cholesterol raising, multi-course meals-- "Per favore, posso fare una prenotazione per domani sera?"

7 comments:

Unknown said...

you were made for Italy!

Anonymous said...

i'm longing to be there and share that orgasmic food!

Anonymous said...

solution to high cholesterol: cheerios.
i love you.

Anonymous said...

Can anything be that good, besides you. Gram

Unknown said...

Carly: I did have a very funny comment to your blog( I thought it was) but I wasnt signed up to blog.Plus I couldnt even print it.(must be due to the use of the "f word" Maybe if I have now entered the sanctum universalis of being a "google" person.
If you read this, send me an email with your best address for corresponding with you when you are between meals.
Has academia entered yet into to your daily life?
LOVE YOU QUOTE...UNQUOTE
POPPA

the other hb said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm...luv you.

the other hb

the other hb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.