Friday, January 8, 2010

Gajar Halwa, or, I'm finally back from India.


        India was deliriously beautiful, mind-blowing, and revelatory.  That said, I think it's only right that I share with you one of my absolute favorite parts--dessert. Every night, delightful balls of India's ubiquitous treat, Gulab Jamon, would fill my stomach with their funnel-cake sweetness.  However, one night, I found myself tucking into a giant wintery bowl of Gajar Halwa (basically, carrot pudding).  It was so utterly seasonal, as carrots were intended to be. It was rich, simple, and complex all at once.  No, we will never walk into a grocery store and be able to find those deep orange, almost red carrots that I ate in India-- "You Americans ruin vegetables because you want them all year round, even out of season!" a friend from Mumbai proclaimed-- but this recipe for Gajar Halwa from Danielle of recipe blog Bon Vivant still seems pretty close to perfect (I'd toss in some dried fruit or raisins, too!).   

2 comments:

CBS said...

oh yummy yummy yummy yummy!!! Unfortunately for me dessert was not my favorite part of eating in India - those ball things YUCK. But the carrot pudding - I can still taste it and see it - that color!!! I agree with your friend about americans and their tasteless washed out veggies - that's why we're always thinking of ways to doctor them! Ahhh - how about the baked yoghurt!?!?!

EmmyBo said...

This post reminded me of the time that you got back from Thailand in the middle of the night (only because you were referring to your annual family trip- not because it has anything else to do with you post, hehe), but it made me smile :-) I miss you, but I'm happy that you're forging on with Girl Meets (Food) World, cause reading it brings me just a little closer to you Xo